Dr. Peter W. Blumencranz Chair
Ensuring a Legacy of Breast Health Excellence at Morton Plant Mease Health Care
The long tradition of philanthropy in our community has helped, and will continue to help the hospitals of Morton Plant Mease to maintain a leadership role in cancer care by recruiting and retaining the highest quality physicians and nurses, to develop innovative patient services, state-of-the-art medical technology, and, most of all, and to be here for your family, friends, neighbors and patients when they need us most.
To overcome the rising statistics of women diagnosed with breast cancer in the Tampa Bay area, Morton Plant Mease Foundation is seeking $2 million in contributions to fund the Dr. Peter W. Blumencranz Chair. Dr. Blumencranz is the Medical Director of Breast Health Services for Morton Plant Mease Health Care and Medical Director of the Moffitt Morton Plant Mease Cancer Care partnership.
Facts on Dr. Peter W. Blumencranz Chair:
- A native of New York City, Dr. Blumencranz received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Pennsylvania and his medical degree from Cornell University Medical College. He completed his postgraduate training at New York Hospital–Cornell Medical Center and a fellowship in surgical oncology at Memorial Hospital Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York. He served as a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy.
- Dr. Blumencranz is a diplomat of the American Board of Surgery, a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, the Southeastern Surgical Congress and the Society of Surgical Oncology. He is a member of the American Society of Breast Surgeons, American Society of Breast Diseases, American Society of Clinical Oncology and a field liaison physician for the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer. He serves as a Member of the State of Florida Cancer Council.
- Dr. Blumencranz is the Medical Director of Comprehensive Breast Program and Cancer Services for Morton Plant Mease Health Care, and Medical Director of Moffitt–Morton Plant Mease Cancer Care. He is actively involved in research trials and new technologies in the treatment of breast cancer and continues to treat patients with melanoma as well.
- In 2007 and 2008, Dr. Blumencranz has been honored as a recipient of the Commission on Cancer’s Cancer Liaison Physician Outstanding Performance award. Only 55 physicians were chosen out of 1,600 represented in the Commission on Cancer’s national network.
- In conjunction with the Dr. Peter W. Blumencranz Chair, a full-time Nurse Navigator position is available to walk cancer patients and their families through the cancer treatment process – serving as an educator, advocate, guide and foundation of support.
- Funding for the Dr. Peter W. Blumencranz Chair will also support the Cancer Patient Support Services (CaPSS) program, which addresses the psychosocial, emotional and spiritual needs of all cancer patients, their families and friends.
- The Dr. Peter W. Blumencranz Chair will assure the funds and growth for clinical breast cancer research, treatment and cure.