The Dr. Paul L. Phillips Chair
Morton Plant Hospital is nationally recognized for its cardiology and cardiovascular surgical care. For the last 13 years, the hospital has been in the top 100, and most recently, the top 50 centers in the country that provide these services. It is the only hospital in the country that has continually been awarded this distinction. To help continue this tradition of superior cardiac care, Morton Plant Mease Foundation is seekign $1 million to fund the Dr. Paul L. Phillips Chair in Cardiology.
The hospitals of Morton Plant Mease offer award winning cardiovascular services that span the continuum of care - from prevention and early detection to treatment and recovery. Each year, 650 open-heart surgeries and 2,500 interventional cardiologic procedures are performed at Morton Plant alone - saving lives and returning patients to better health.
Facts on the Dr. Paul L. Phillips Chair:
- Paul L. Phillips, M.D., F.A.C.C. received his medical degree from the University of Virginia Medical School. His post graduate training continued with an internship, residency, and cardiology fellowship at New York Hospital- Cornell Medical Center.
- Dr. Phillips has practiced for 30 years at Morton Plant since being recruited by Dr. Donald Eubanks and Dr. Michael Williamson in 1981. These two pioneering cardiologists had established the cardiac catheterization laboratory and were amongst the first cardiologists in the country to perform coronary interventions and treat heart attacks with catheter based therapy. Dr Phillips complimented his partners by helping to establish the non-invasive modalities that would assist with diagnosing and following patients with heart disease and helped create the nuclear cardiology and echocardiography laboratories at the hospital.
- Dr. Phillips is the current managing partner of Clearwater Cardiovascular and Interventional Consultants. He received the Excellence in Medicine Award in 1999 and the teaching award from the Morton Plant Primary Care Program in 2005. He serves as an affiliate professor at the University of South Florida School of Medicine.
- Dr. Phillips currently serves on Morton Plant Mease Foundation’s board – where he also served as chairman. He was instrumental in propelling his practice as the first physician group recognized as Foundation Benefactors with giving of more than one million dollars in support of the hospitals. Paul and his wife Liz are also Benefactors.
- Your gifts will help perpetuate our nationally recognized cardiovascular services by supporting new technology like the hybrid surgical suite in Morgan Heart Hospital – a “super suite” where our cardiologists and surgeons collaboratively implant new transcatheter aortic valves. This recently approved, less invasive valve replacement allows patients to receive new valves without the need of open heart surgery – and Morton Plant is the first in Tampa Bay to offer this service. Your gift will help physicians continue delivering cutting edge, excellent cardiac care to our community.